Eight Days of Luke & Harry Potter

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Aug 2 16:08:40 EDT 2000

Jacob said...

> It is my understanding that Ireland has a corner on the localization
market
> for software.  I also understand that quite a lot of high-tech is headed
> that way due to some interesting tax structures.  It'd sure be nice if I
> could leverage some of my technical skills into an Ireland relocation.
I've
> actually toyed with the thought of leveraging myself into England, even to
> the point of sending out my CV.  But I've found that U.K. programmers earn
> fraction of U.S. programmers when you factor cost of living and currency
> conversions (BTW, for those interested, as of a year ago, the currency
> conversion US to UK was almost exactly inverse of the cost of living
> adjustment.  That means you can compare UK salaries to US salaries on an
> amount to amount basis).

Jacob, I'm assuming you're in the US.  Yes, there's a major localisation
market here.  No, you're not liable to find it easy to re-locate to here.
Why?  Because Ireland has very strict immigration laws, and it is a monster
pain in the neck to acquire a work permit if you are not an EU citizen.  The
company I work for (which writes satellite control software, btw, and has
nothing to do with localisation) simply ignores any applications from non-EU
citizens, because we just can't be having with the the whole work permit
hassle.  But on the other hand, maybe larger companies (we're >20 employees)
might be more comfortable with it.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust" -T. S. Eliot