Philosophical Rambling: Escapism

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 1 03:34:55 EDT 2000

I suddenly remembered just now that I once read an introduction to an
sf anthology (can't remember who wrote it, sorry), which had the
following to say about sf and fantasy stories as escapism:

Many people in their youth use sf and fantasy as a kind of wall
between themselves and the hard reality of the world. All of these
people, sooner or later, realise that this notional wall is full of
holes large enough for the world to fit through. Most of them give up
at this point, leave the wall behind, and become normal people. A
small proportion, however, start building their own additions to the
wall, and become writers.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."