Guardian review

camillasaly camillasaly at netzero.net
Sat Apr 29 23:42:20 EDT 2000

My experiences have been similar.  It takes alot to initially convince
someone to read a "children's book", and it's complicated and sometimes even
embarassing to explain oneself (not that I should care, of course.)
"Speculative fiction," as you put it, would be a much better way of putting
the genre that I love so much.  The category could embrace other stuff not
necessarily thought of as "children's".  This could include my fave Gaiman
(esp. Sandman), some Sci Fi (someone mentioned Heinlein) and even some of
the best movies and tv stuff might fit the category.  (How about the 1960's
TV show "The Prisoner" and/or some of the better "Avengers" episodes?
Perhaps the brilliant TV movie version of LeGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven"?
This genre may be a way to explain a link between my reading habits and why
I love Nicholas Roeg's 1969 film "Performance," Antonioni's "Blow-up" and
this past year's "Fight Club"!)   The term "Fantasy" ill-fits this genre:
Diana best lampooned what that has come to mean in her tourbook of
fantasyland.

The frustrating thing about Harry Potter is that I want to see Diana's books
on the big display racks at Barnes & Noble, etcetera.  She's the one who
deserves accolades like the ones Rowling's getting.  I saw Rowling
interviewed about a year ago and she seemed somewhat sheepish.  Maybe she
knows just how derivative she is.  At any rate, it is maddening that Diana's
brilliance continues to go unrecognized by the larger public.

Best, Camilla (who reads her email once every two weeks and is ashamed of
herself.)