"Enter the Worlds of Chrestomanci"

Deirdre Behan dbehan at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 29 17:06:02 EDT 2000

Just went into town after hearing that the Worlds of Chrestomanci were in
the shops - truly awful covers. I need to buy Witch Week because I borrowed
it from the library, but I don't think that I could bear to own the book
with the cover it has. Instead I bought Pamela Dean and Nicola Griffith - I
have the feeling that I'll sneak into the shop again during  the week to buy
Witch Week, but my first response was very negative. I have to admit that
I've always found "Witch Week" very disturbing and only now find myself
being able to buy it - the tragedy of course is that the previous covers
were miles better that what  we're getting now. There's a definite attempt
to buy into the Henry Potter audience. (As a reader of Henry Potter I have
to agree with Melissa that each of the books get better, so I hold a lot of
hope out for Rowling - I think that whatever else she's a good world builder
and that's what accounts for her success.)

In terms of the depiction of Chrestomanci - I have the very best depiction
of him from the Puffin edition published in 1979. He has beautifully
sculptured features with a handsome moustache, his hair is swept back,
because it's at the end of the novel when he repels the invaders from the
garden.  I have to say this is the image of Chrestomanci I've imprinted.
It's completely different from my edition (Mammoth 1989) of "The Lives of
Christopher Chant" where he looks like a sulky adolescent with a
hyper-thyroid condition .

Deirdre