[Re: Lemony Snicket]

Loehr, Mallory MLoehr at randomhouse.com
Sat Apr 29 16:58:33 EDT 2000

I read the first 2 and was very excited at first to have found a new good
thing. But the narrative style got irritating rather quickly (as Sarah
says...repetitive). I think if I'd read it as a kid I could have ignored it
more successfully. I've just been rereading Noel Streatfield (the SHOE
books) and in reflection think that the Lemony Snickett series is a lot like
a Streatfield set up but then  sent a long a darker funnier road (as Sarah
says...Roald Dahl, or perhaps Edward Gorey). But they are especially lovely
books.