Introduction

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Sat Apr 29 15:23:45 EDT 2000

Hello everybody,

As I am new to the list, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce
myself a bit.

My name is Bettina, I am 25 years old and come from Germany. I live in
Freiburg, a city in the south-western corner of the country. At the moment
I am writing my thesis in history of law and working at the University.

One of my hobbies is reading, and I tend to read lots of english books as
am interested in the original versions (and some of the books I find
interesting aren't even translated). As far as the genre is concerned, I
am
quite open, I like fantasy, but also detective novels, scifi... anything
that takes my fancy actually. And I also read "children's books", because
find (as some of you have already pointed out) that the probability to
find
real good stories there is (if you know where to look) quite high.

What I especially enjoy is rereading the books I loved as a kid in the
original language. It's a bit like visiting good old friends, most of them
still have got a lot to tell you. Of course it is interesting as well to
see how good (or bad in some cases) the translation was.

DWJ was - and after reading her again I can say - *is* one of my favorite
authors. The impulse to take the books out again was reading the first
Harry
Potter novel. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it. But afterwars I
thought: "Something is missing." I couldn't put my finger on it, but I
went and got my much-read copy of Charmed Life - and there it was.

You can imagine how excited I was when I found out that there are so many
books by DWJ I haven't read yet (they weren't translated I suppose). And I
am really looking forward to catching up. (My work's going to suffer a
bit,
I'm afraid).

I searched the net for more information about DWJ (amazon.de is going to
need al least another week until my first order arrives... *sigh*) and
found
this list. And from what I glimpsed in the archives (they are so big I'm
still impressed) I am very glad I did.

Take care,
Bettina