Guardian review

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Apr 28 13:45:24 EDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> out of sight of many readers.  Probably it's the fate of a lot of so-called
> "young adult" authors; I know when I gave my sister-in-law _Howl's Moving
> Castle_ she said "This is a *kid's* book" in much the same tone you might
> say "This is a disgusting *worm*."
I remember reading something about how they (the U.S. publishers, I
think) were reissuing the first Harry Potter book with a discreet cover
for adults who were embarrassed to be seen reading something as obviously
"for children" as the original cover demonstrated....It reminded me a bit
of my slight qualms about hanging out in the children's room at the
library when I was in high school. Of course, I got over it, and happily
continued taking out stacks of books so high I had to balance them with my
chin.

Since I have de-lurked, I might as well introduce myself. My name is Kyla
Tornheim; I'm a junior at Swarthmore College, outside of
Philadelphia; when I'm home I live in Boston. I can't remember the first
time I read a Diana Wynne Jones book or which one it was--hmm, maybe "The
Ogre Downstairs." All through elementary school, continuing through last
summer when I got home and my older sister said "Here, read the new Diana
Wynne Jones book I got," my mother, sister and I have been reading DWJ's
books and discussing them. And giving them as presents to people. And
bonding with other people we discover are fans. My favorite, hands down,
is "Hexwood"; I think it's her masterpiece and won't let people read it
until they've read most of the other books. I'm on a crusade (where
"crusade" means "suggesting that we buy them" :^) to get
Swarthmore's science fiction and fantasy library to have a bigger DWJ
collection than just "A Sudden Wild Magic."

It's truly lovely to be on this list, and I am having a wonderful time
procrastinating by reading through the archives. :^)

Kyla