Guardian review

Wed Apr 26 16:05:22 EDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:15:23 +0100, Deirdre Behan wrote:

>I don't know if anyone saw this in the Guardian today. They've got the
>Rowling angle in, but rather from the the wrong perspective.

You're not kidding, are you.  Definitely wrong perspective.

<snip>
>Wynne Jones's novel won the Guardian Award for Children's Books back in
>1977, but then fell into obscurity.

Yeah, only if you're a mainstream reader, I guess...  :)  What exactly is
obscurity, I ask you?  Everyone *I* know has read _Charmed Life_.  Oh, wait,
that's because I made them read it.  Oops.

>This reissue, in an attractive new
>format, is the first of five books in the Chrestomanci series, although not
>all feature Cat.

I noticed this recently--they're all labeled "The Chrestomanci Series
#(whatever)"  Interesting since you can pretty much read the books in any
order; my take on this is that it's a marketing issue, and clever of the
publisher, even if a little misleading.

> This book and the others should plug the gap nicely for
>anyone who can't wait for the arrival of the next Potter.

I laugh myself breathless thinking of DWJ as something I read to pass the
time waiting for a new Harry Potter.  More like, I *might* get the fourth
Harry Potter sometime between now and _Year of the Griffin_....

On the other hand, wouldn't it be great to snag some new DWJ fans this way?
"Oh, I know it's hard waiting for _Doomspell Tournament_; here's something
you might enjoy in the meantime...."

Melissa Proffitt