nad and Dan adn the Tough Guide

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 20 10:49:17 EDT 2000

>O' Cobhthaigh became Coffey, Cowie or Cowhey, whilst Coffey may represent O'
>Cobhthaigh, O' Cathbhadha, O' Cathbhuadhaigh or O' Cathmhogha
>
>For all I once said on this list that I wouldn't want to learn Irish, Irish
>spelling is so weird that I'm beginning to think that I'll have to learn Irish
>or I'll never be satisfied with not understanding the way they write...

Very optimistic of you to think that learning Irish would make you
understand the way it's written!  Maybe you just need to spend some time on
a PanCeltic Tour.  Let enough of that Mist get into your brain as well...

>PS I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks, but I'll leave the list subscription active
>and try and read it all when I get back.

Slán!

>PPS Hallie - does this answer the question you just asked me off list?

Ó, go raibh maith agat! Fhraigríonn sé mo cheist. (Oh, thank you! That
answers my question.)

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie
(Irish courtesy of Becca. (That's 'Múinteoir' to you!))