nad and Dan adn the Tough Guide

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 03:49:27 EDT 2000

Hi there!

I was glancing through "The Dictionary of English Surnames" the other day.  This
starts with a very good article about the origins of surnames, and I found a
paragraph that reminded me strongly both of "nad and Dan adn Quaffy" - the
(fictional) writer who couldn't type Coffee, and the outrageous quasi-Irish
spellings adopted by some (genuine) writers to give their books a Celtic feel.

I quote:

O' Cobhthaigh became Coffey, Cowie or Cowhey, whilst Coffey may represent O'
Cobhthaigh, O' Cathbhadha, O' Cathbhuadhaigh or O' Cathmhogha

For all I once said on this list that I wouldn't want to learn Irish, Irish
spelling is so weird that I'm beginning to think that I'll have to learn Irish
or I'll never be satisfied with not understanding the way they write...

Philip.

PS I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks, but I'll leave the list subscription active
and try and read it all when I get back.

PPS Hallie - does this answer the question you just asked me off list?

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK
Tel: +44 (0)115 936 2000