Konstam's height

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 13 20:07:07 EDT 2000

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, PREISIG Kylie wrote:

> Konstam's slave (I can't for the life of me remember his name at the
> moment)  gave Helen and Jamie the impression that Konstam was seven
> feet tall.  When he actually appeared on the scene he was quite
> short, which surprised everyone, including the slave.
>
> I could never work out what was going on there.  Was it because
> Konstam's height had grown in the telling of the tale, and the slave
> had convinced himself that Konstam was actually tall, or was it
> because Konstam had actually somehow gotten shorter?

I thought at first Konstam had actually gotten shorter, but I don't
think it's that. But I don't think Konstam grew-in-the-telling,
precisely. I suspect that Konstam's height was never actually
mentioned, and the others just assumed that somebody who was all these
other wonderful things would have to be tall, too.

The question then becomes: why didn't Joris(?) mention Konstam's
height? Perhaps he'd gotten used to it over the years, or maybe he'd
never quite noticed how unusual it was to begin with. Whatever the
answer is, I think it's the key to why he was surprised as well.
Perhaps it took a period of seperation from Konstam (which, IIRC, is
something he'd never had before) to notice how unusual Konstam's
height really was.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."