Waybread (was: Re: Pies)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 11:30:27 EDT 2000

> Oh, yes, I have tried oplatky, but I never thought them to be anything
> else than a funny shaped variant of wafers - much bigger and harder to
> eat, because of the way they usually crumble into pieces... But they DO
> taste good! My personal favourites are Chocolate and Cacao - and after
> having been slightly addicted to them since I first encountered about five
> years ago, I still don't know which ones I like better...
>
> But, please, tell me what made you call them waybread? I've always
> considered waybread to be much like crispbread, the type of dried,
> rusk-like (but not sweet!) bread quite common in the Skandinavian
> countries and in Finland. It's light to carry, it has as much energy as
> 'fresh' bread, and if you put some cheese or meet on it, it really tastes
> quite good.

I don't know how I came to call them waybread.  It just happened, I think.
Certainly the family agreed when I brought some home.  (My parents and brother
are all far more Tolkien fans than I am, so I think they had in mind Cram, or
whatever it's called.)

The Scandinavian crispbreads are sold over here with various tradenames - I
think my parents usually buy Ryvita - but I don't see them as waybread because
they don't pack the energy you need for long journeys on foot, and they go stale
too quickly.

Of course the alternative approach to high energy food for journeys is Kendal
Mint Cake (presumably named after the town in the Lake District?).  But this
doesn't have the opportunity for including other nutritious components in the
wafer, as one ought to be able to do with oplatky.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK