Fairy Tales/Chaucer

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Thu Apr 6 17:52:34 EDT 2000

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, McMullin, Elise wrote:

Actually, Paul said it but I completely agree with him.  Since he is asleep
now I suppose I can take the words right out of his mouth:

> > > I always liked it because I felt that the leads *deserved* to live
> > > happily ever after - the heroine makes her own luck, and the hero
> > > finds her in the end by being observant and intelligent, not by
> > > carrying some stupid shoe around and hoping that the first person it
> > > fits will be the right one."

mwah ha ha

	"When her father comes to the wedding, she singles
> him out and serves him soup with honey, steak with sugar, turnips with
> marmalade... By the end of the meal he acknowledges the worth of her love
> with tears."

	Yes, in the version I read, she serves him unsalted meat.  Probably
pretty repulsive before refrigeration.

	"Much was my dismay when at the tender and impressionable age of
> eleven, when on an exchange trip to Austria, I was offered sugar on my
> polenta (which every good Romanian eats only with salty cheese or milk or
> delicious vegetables) and honey on my steak.  (The household dog, decadent
> beast that he was, had a fine time of it.)"

	Well... I'm trying to imagine this with my taste buds and the
closest I can get is honey barbecue sauce.   But you must have feared you
were being housed by shallow flatterers - they clearly expressed it in the
Language of Food.

	"If the new version was poem-like and harped on the formula "be thou
bold, but not too bold" (how deliciously sinister), then it must have been
the amazing Neil Gaiman."

	Yes - that's exactly the one.  "Be Bold. Be Bold. But Not Too Bold,
Lest Your Heart's Blood Should Run Cold."  Creepy!

	"P.S.  My thanks to Elise, for suggesting Lisa Gerrard, whose music
I am now busily proselytizing (? is that a transitive verb?) among friends."

	Excellent! Plans for world aural domination proceed apace.  I was
just listening to her Duality cd this weekend.  The neighbors must hate me
since I played The Human Game about 8 times in succession at top volume.
Those lyrics!  That voice!  Stop me.  How about that Cantara, eh?  Hair
raising!

	"P.P.S.  I *hate* Griselda.  We just studied her story in my Chaucer
course a while back, and Bah!  it was one of those few stories to fling
across the room."

	*cackle*  my boyfriend and I were entertaining ourselves with ideas
of a Bad Book Bonfire.  Instead of the banned books of the world, we could
have the books people really hate - and then we can plead for them before
they are tossed into the flames - and if one person takes pity upon the book
and steps forward to claim it and shelter it, the volume will be preserved
from it's pyrrhic fate.  Except Ayn Rand.  No pleading allowed  ;)

	"Like DWJ, Chaucer has that amazing gift to render a prodigiously
imaginary place extraordinarily vivid--with a sense of humour, too!"

	Wouldn't you like to invite him to dinner?  He seemed like such an
interesting person to know.  Reading him made me wish I could have known the
original.

Elise