Pies

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 6 04:21:23 EDT 2000

>        A hee hee hee.  Have you ever read the old story Cap O' Rushes?
>Kind of a Cinderella variation, mixed with King Lear.  The heroine is kicked
>out for plain speaking to her dad.  She goes to the river and weaves herself
>a cloak out of rushes which conceals and protects her good clothes.  Then
>she finds work in the kitchens of the king (resourceful, I like it).  I
>never see a handmade cloak like that in other stories.  I like it because it
>kind of takes the cliche out of the Cloak, but you still get to have a cloak
>and it's kind of elemental.

You must have read this in Clever Gretchen, Elise, right?  Love that book,
except for the artwork.  CG is a collection of old fairy tales with female
heroes (to use F & H type description).  Not re-written PC versions, which
can be vile, IMO, but originals.  Tam Lin's in there too.

Hallie (no, the "O" doesn't stand for "overparticipation", though you might

       think so just at the moment)
hallieod at indigo.ie