What we've been reading...

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Apr 6 04:21:21 EDT 2000

Satu on Wide Sargasso Sea:

>Rhys did not like the way Mr. Rochester's mad wife was represented in
>_Jane Eyre_, because practically nothing was said about her. She felt that
>there was something missing in the book, such as the reason why she
>was/became mad. She felt that there was a need for her story to be told
>and, as her story was not already told she invented it. There needed to be
>a beginning, preferably a good, or at least a passionate one for their
>love story, or otherwise they would probably never have ended up married
>in the first place. And Rhys also wanted to show in her book that the girl
>was a victim (of sorts)...

Well, I have to disagree with the need to show a beginning for the "love
story".   I really think it was explained quite clearly in Jane Eyre, which
I loved.  But  "the girl was a victim (of sorts) relates to why I disliked
the book.  Antionette was the ultimate victim, as portrayed here, but Mr.
Rochester was also a victim in many ways.  And I just don't get along very
well with books in which characters are doomed by being victim.  Not that
it isn't the case sometimes, but I prefer a bit of hope.

Not that I'm pretending to be remotely topical here, but I can tie this in!
Picking characters that come immediately to mind, Polly, Mordion, the
sisters in TotG are all victims - but not doomed.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie