What we've been reading...

Thu Apr 6 01:35:13 EDT 2000

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:11:55 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> Then I read a couple of books by Tim Powers just to go to the
>> extreme opposite end of the spectrum.  His stuff is so intense and
>> bloody that I can't just pick it up any old time.  But _Last Call_
>> was very good.
>
>I think _Last Call_ may be one of the two Tim Powers books I've
>actually got around to reading - is it the one with the magic poker
>games in it?
>
>(Although even if I'm right, "the one with the magic poker games in
>it" is a horrible description of the book, really :)

That's the one.  True, that's not the greatest description--but I knew what
you were talking about, huh?  I think you can reduce any Tim Powers novel to
a thumbnail description which would be both accurate and inadequate..."ghost
eaters in California," "vampire succubi in Byron's England," and so forth.
I actually picked up _Last Call_ because I was bored with _Earthquake
Weather_, which is billed as a sequel to _Expiration Date_.  Only it's
thematically more of a sequel to _Last Call_.  So I'm glad I stopped when I
did.

>> Now I'm working my way through P.C. Hodgell's Kencyrath books.  Nyah
>> nyah nyah, all of you who don't own _Seeker's Mask_.  :)
>
>[insert incoherent foaming at the mouth here]

Oh, I felt so mean after I posted that.  I really, really wish you could
read it so we could discuss it.  It takes the series in a different
direction.  Again.

>> Every time I read _God Stalk_ I wonder what I was thinking the first
>> time.  I sincerely did not understand this book at first.
>
>What is there not to understand about it?

Not in the sense of going "huh? I don't get it" but reading it a second time
and realizing how much I'd missed.  The whole issue of deity created by and
sustained by faith went right over my head, other than the overt plot
element of Gorgo the Lugubrious.  I was not a very subtle reader back then,
I guess.  I certainly *thought* I understood it, though, enough to read the
other two....

>> Enough blathering for now, it's time to feed the beasts.
>
>Thank you, I've already eaten. :)

Good thing; we had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  :)

Melissa Proffitt