Pies

Satu S Hlinovsky skanervi at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 5 16:15:24 EDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> But I really LOVE Waybread!  Don't tell me you've never tried it!
>
> I discovered the stuff staying with friends in Bavaria, sorry, Bayern.  The
> border with Czechoslovakia (as it was then) had just been opened up, and we made
> a day trip to Eger, sorry, Cheb.
>
> There I discovered Waybread made to a traditional Czech recipe.  The format is
> two thin wafers of (presumably highly nutritious) unleavened bread-like
> substance, in between which is the high-energy component needed for making long
> journeys on foot or horseback.  This is presumably some sort of sugar.
>
> These journey cakes (for want of a better name) are known locally as Oplatky.
> Satu - if you haven't tried them yet, do so before you leave Bohemia!  In Cheb
> we could get them in two flavours, Vanilla and Chocolate.  The Vanilla ones were
> much nicer (to me, anyway - and I'm a chocoholic!).
>
> Philip.

Oh, yes, I have tried oplatky, but I never thought them to be anything
else than a funny shaped variant of wafers - much bigger and harder to
eat, because of the way they usually crumble into pieces... But they DO
taste good! My personal favourites are Chocolate and Cacao - and after
having been slightly addicted to them since I first encountered about five
years ago, I still don't know which ones I like better...

But, please, tell me what made you call them waybread? I've always
considered waybread to be much like crispbread, the type of dried,
rusk-like (but not sweet!) bread quite common in the Skandinavian
countries and in Finland. It's light to carry, it has as much energy as
'fresh' bread, and if you put some cheese or meet on it, it really tastes
quite good.

Satu