Pies

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 12:31:24 EDT 2000

>> I don't know, but something seems wrong with my food-based responses.
>> I can't quite muster the revulsion you seem to expect for the pie/pea
>> combo, which doesn't sound bad.   I would love to see the reaction if
>> tourists were given a pea floater in place of the expected stew in an
>> inn though!
>
> I think you mean Stew, Hallie! Yes, I have been reading the Tough Guide
> again...
>
> The Stew sounds bad, but the Journeycake and Waybread sound worse...

Sally?  What ARE you talking about?

Pies and stew are variable - depends on how they're cooked, I suppose.

I have never managed to bring myself to try mushy peas (aka Yorkshire caviar) -
they're served with fish and chips here in Leicestershire, despite this being
the home of the pork pie...

But I really LOVE Waybread!  Don't tell me you've never tried it!

I discovered the stuff staying with friends in Bavaria, sorry, Bayern.  The
border with Czechoslovakia (as it was then) had just been opened up, and we made
a day trip to Eger, sorry, Cheb.

There I discovered Waybread made to a traditional Czech recipe.  The format is
two thin wafers of (presumably highly nutritious) unleavened bread-like
substance, in between which is the high-energy component needed for making long
journeys on foot or horseback.  This is presumably some sort of sugar.

These journey cakes (for want of a better name) are known locally as Oplatky.
Satu - if you haven't tried them yet, do so before you leave Bohemia!  In Cheb
we could get them in two flavours, Vanilla and Chocolate.  The Vanilla ones were
much nicer (to me, anyway - and I'm a chocoholic!).

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK