price of magic

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Sep 30 17:23:15 EDT 1999

Nat wrote:

>In fact if you think of magic having a price while you're working it, you
>are still working on a relatively selfish way: If _I_ pay this, _I_ can do
>that.

I'm not sure that the selfish part necessarily follows.  Hope I'm not
flogging a dead horse here, but this whole discussion has been really
interesting.  I think that realizing the price of magic (or whatever) is
simply part of making an informed decision about what you're doing.  Polly
has learned all too well the vulnerability that comes with love.  Ivy, Reg,
and even seemingly Tom, have all forced her to see that.  But that
knowledge is all part of what she brings to her final decision to choose to
love Tom enough to let go of him forever.  Rupert too realizes the cost of
using his magid powers (analagous I guess to emotional maturity), when
things go wrong, resulting in tragedies he says he'll blame himself for all
his life.  Again, his understanding of the price doesn't stop him from
acting, nor does it make his behaviour in any way more selfish.

Perhaps it's just the connotations of the word price (or cost) which make
this concept seem to have that mechanistic, pay-back requiring air.  Or,
perhaps it's my weird slant on things again.   I'm still dazzled by being
told (when I was worrying about something I'd said being really
self-centred) that self-centred was great.  Centred in the self - exactly
where one should be centred.  What a concept!  I hope it's clear where that
ties in to my argument above, but my brain is much too woozey to be sure.
You lot can figure it out if it's even remotely figure-outable
(figureable-out?  intelligible!).

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie