Ivy and Laurel (Diverging from RE: Price of Magic)

Tue Sep 28 16:50:12 EDT 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:14:16 -0400, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	Ooh, I just thought how instructive it is to consider Laurel and Ivy
>in juxtaposition after looking at Hallie's post again.  Polly struggles
>against one in average life and the other in unusual/story life.

Another way to look at Laurel vs. Ivy is to remember that Polly's
grandfather was one of Laurel's men.  "They took him when the nine years was
up," says Polly's grandmother, and we're left wondering whether he was an
unwilling victim like the Lynn brothers or was attracted to her the way
Leslie was.  Then comes Reg, Polly's father.  He *does* find this kind of
woman attractive.  Ivy, in a worldly/temporal sense, is just like Laurel.
She takes and takes and never gives anything unless it will benefit her too.
And when Reg leaves Ivy, it's to go to Joanna Renton, who dark smooth beauty
is just as distant and chilly as Laurel's is.  Apparently, the element that
makes a man useful to Laurel is hereditary--Reg and his father, Charles Lynn
and Thomas Lynn.

So even though Reg wouldn't have been appealing to Laurel himself (too
coarse, I think) he finds the same sorts of things attractive in human
women.  You could even look at it as a pair of oppositions, Polly's
grandfather and Laurel representing the faerie or ethereal, and Reg and Ivy
as the material or temporal.

I've forgotten where I was going with this.  Apparently it was apropos of
nothing.  Ah well.

Melissa Proffitt