Price of Magic.

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Mon Sep 27 17:01:55 EDT 1999

Alexandra wrote:
	"The creation of miseries!  Please pardon my wildly shooting off ona
> tangent, but that describes just about every high school English course
> I've taken!  All the books we had to read were about people
> leading lives of either quiet (and occasionally squalid) desperation or
> (in Shakespeare plays) splendid, enlightening, transcending misery."

	Oh so true.

	"And, while I don't think that books have to be essentially "happy"
to be good books, I will disagree till I turn blue in the face that misery
always
> makes good literature."

	Yeah! You go!
	Ursula said:
	"This is the treason of the artist:  a refusal to admit the banality
of evil and the terrible boredom of pain... But to praise despair is to
condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else.  We
have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe a happy man, nor make any
celebration of joy."

	Wow, very smart.  And not to absolve people from responsibility, but
this problem is far larger than the arts, methinks.  How many of those
artists purveying pain, misery and heroes/heroines who cause it in turn
understand what's going on?  Aren't they, or are they, believers in the
supposed glamour of it?

	I'm definitely printing your email to remind me in future.

	Elise