Spotting things

Sun Sep 26 22:40:18 EDT 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:48:08 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, McMullin, Elise wrote:
>
>> 	Take, for example, Charmed Life (Upcoming Spoilers). That
>> was the first dwj I read so I've re-read it the longest. It was
>> long, long ages before it sank in that, Gwendolen being without
>> magic, it was unlikely that she could have sealed herself into that
>> next world.
>
>      "What did the child do?" asked the old lady in the mittens, very
>   shaken.
>      "Sealed herself in that world," said Chrestomanci. He was even
>   more shaken. "Isn't that so, Cat?" he said.
>      Cat nodded mulishly. It had seemed worth it. He was not sure he
>   wanted to see Gwendolen again.
>

>It was definitely Gwendolen. She borrowed Cat's power to do it, and he
>let her, but it was Gwendolen.

You haven't gone far enough.  In the first place, Chrestomanci's question to
Cat looks more like a conspiracy of silence.  Why would Chrestomanci have
asked for Cat's opinion if it were obvious that she'd done so?  And why
would *Cat* say it had seemed worth it if he hadn't done it?  This could
also indicate that he'd allowed Gwendolen to use his magic one last time,
but it doesn't rule out Cat doing it himself.

But further down the page is the clincher, when a tearful Janet comes
stumbling back:

"Janet had been happy in her own world.  She had missed her mother and
father.  Now she was probably in this world for good, and Cat had done it.
And Chrestomanci had called Gwendolen selfish!"

Gwendolen had to use an entire life of Cat's to be able to simply travel
between the worlds.  Presumably it would take even more magic to not only
travel, but to seal the world afterward.  I'm betting on Cat, myself, since
he did not lose a life at this point, and his mental state when he finally
figured out that Gwendolen didn't care anything for him was pretty dismal.

Having said this, I have to contradict myself and say that I don't think
it's possible to make a definitive judgement on this.  Myself, I didn't
think of it being Cat until I listened to the audio version, so I think
there was something in the reading that gave me that impression.

Melissa Proffitt