More _Fire and Hemlock_ (was: Re: Lion and Unicorn)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Sep 25 07:35:57 EDT 1999

 Elise wrote:
 >If any of the writers out there would like to address the question of
drafts >and plotting and which things when, I'm all ears.

I'm a little hesitant to offer this suggestion, but Madeleine L'Engle
writes about this in considerable detail in her book _Walking on Water_.
The hesitation comes from the fact that this book (subtitled Reflections on
Faith and Art) is deeply religious.  If that doesn't put you off, I think
you might find it fascinating.  She has some great stories of characters
appearing unexpectedly in her books, or information that she needed being
given to her - often involving much re-writing or hard study, BTW.  The
second-last chapter "The Other Side of Silence" especially discusses being
open to where her writing itself takes her.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie