Price of Magic.

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Fri Sep 24 23:01:08 EDT 1999

The Price of Magic (i.e. the physical, emotional or spiritual price of it)
is a set theme in novels. The idea is to make your magic-doer less likely
to do it just for fun. However, I'm not sure that it's a valid point. Sure,
it adds checks to the story and the character, but in reality "magic"
should be a creative process like, say, painting, writing or sculpting. And
as you "pay out" with these, so you get "pay in" from your surroundings...
it's tiring, being creative, but the pay in - pay out is really like an
endless chain or pumping system. And how does the magic "re-charge", if not
in this same pay in - pay out system?

Well, *I* know what I mean...

Sallyo.
Interested in my monthly newsletter? Details at
http://members.xoom.com/Sallyo/welcome.html