Spotting things

Fri Sep 24 17:08:34 EDT 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:49:23 -0400, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	An oojamaflip? A dooverlackey?  I've never heard either of those
>terms before - I like em.
>	I'm very bad at spotting things.  Partly, I think I don't really
>trust myself on it - I think perhaps it is just me.
>	Take, for example, Charmed Life (Upcoming Spoilers).  That was the
>first dwj I read so I've re-read it the longest.  It was long, long ages
>before it sank in that, Gwendolen being without magic, it was unlikely that
>she could have sealed herself into that next world.  I thought, "But, no.
>But maybe!" and went back and re-read the whole ending part.  And I was
>shocked.  Mainly I had been so complacently trusting about Cat - I mean, not
>that he's bad but I just kind of overlooked him after deciding that he was a
>nice, harmless kid whose side I was on - and didn't let the implications
>sink in.

I didn't realize it either.  Not until I listened to the audio tape
version--I read way too fast, I miss stuff all the time--did I realize that
it was *Cat* who'd done it.  (The other thing I missed from _Charmed Life_
was the truly perfect description of Chrestomanci as something like "a grand
procession of one person"!)

I am not the kind of reader who notices things.  At all.  My husband does,
and I find it truly annoying.  I can never tell who the murderer is or
anything like that unless it's so glaringly obvious that it spoils the
pleasure for me.  He, of course, is always saying "well you knew it was
so-and-so who was really X's brother because of..." and I really hate that.
:)

Melissa Proffitt