More _Fire and Hemlock_ (was: Re: Lion and Unicorn)

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Fri Sep 24 11:24:23 EDT 1999

> Melissa wrote:
>  > And in Here Now the photo is just a photo,
> >instead of (my guess again) a barometer of how well Tan Coul was
> succeeding
> >in his battle to win free of Laurel....
Hallie replied:
	"Oh, that's good!  And I'm definitely with you in thinking it was
Intended -
> er, intended.  I think every reference to Here Now vs. Nowhere is
> extremely
> carefully used.  So of course, I'd never have noticed that."

	I don't know if I can stand waiting until they reprint F&H so that I
can have my own copy!  You excellent people-of-the-list have shared insights
into many aspects of F&H that I've never thought about.  Scratch that, I'll
have to buy two copies so I can highlight and annotate one.  Maybe I really
need three....

	It makes me wonder.  DWJ books are so wonderfully plotted, but I
recall reading that she never tells the story where to go or knows ahead of
time. I can only imagine she must have been talking about first drafts.
Then afterward, she must have a look at the story and plot around where the
story seems to want to go.  Do you think that's how it works?  If any of the
writers out there would like to address the question of drafts and plotting
and which things when, I'm all ears.

	Elise