Spotting things

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 24 04:05:48 EDT 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Anita Graham wrote:

> So, if you read "Whose Body" (haven't read it for many a long year
> and have no idea of the plot anymore) the author allows the murderer
> to explain "what happened", but he never refers to the mistake that
> caught him out. A careful thoughtful reader will see for themselves
> that he has left out a key point, but Sayers never says so.
>
> (Is that right?)

More or less. The murderer, in his description of how he did the deed,
highlights the two accidents that results in him being caught. The
careful reader, however, notes that the more important of the two
'accidents' is actually a consequence of something the murderer did on
the spur of the moment without ever realising its significance.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."