Ettiquette panic

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 21 15:47:08 EDT 1999

Don't worry, you haven't.  What Philip appears to have done is set up
an autoresponder to tell people who email him that he is away and that
he won't be able to reply for a while so they won't think he is
ignoring him.  These can, I believe (at least the more intelligent
ones), be configured to ignore emails forwarded on by a mailing list,
but Philip's has not been, either because the program is not smart
enough to tell or because Philip didn't know how toset it up to tell
(or didn't realize that he had to set it up to tell).  So, until he
returns, anyone who posts to the list will be getting a reply from his
autoresponder that says he is away but will read your email when he
returns. <grumble, grumble>

At least this particular 'bot is smart enough to reply to the sender
and not the "from" field... I am on a list that has several hundred
people on it and someone left for vacation for a month and left a
mailbot on that was stupid enough that it replied to the "from" field
and the whole list instead of the "sender" field and only the person
who sent it... so *everyone* on the list got spammed everytime anyone
sent a post!  It was maddening!

Courtney