This aye night (no longer serious Deep Secret spoilers)

Irina Rempt-Drijfhout ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 21 14:36:47 EDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Lucy Mackintosh wrote:

> Now, what are whinnies, exactly?  And yes, I do
> know I should try a looking this one up first, but all dictionaries are
> currently somewhere in boxes.

The Concise Oxford doesn't have it. It's probably Scottish (Scots?)
and I've always taken them to be a kind of crows.

> Have you heard Britten's setting of This Aye Night?  (Part of the Serenade
> for Tenor, Horn and Strings, I think.)

No! I'll see if the music library has it. I only know a few folk
versions; the one by (I think) Pentangle used to give me the shivers
when I first heard it (in my late teens). I'm so used to it now that
I can only *remember* the shivers, but the basic feeling is still
there.

   Irina

                     irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself)
       http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (English)