We have lingered in the chambers of the sea

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 20 23:35:48 EDT 1999

	Prufrock irrelevant?  Pistols at dawn! :)
	Seriously, though--I think Prufrock's predicament is universal
enough to be recognizable in just about any book dealing with an
interesting and realistic collection of humans.  And the juxtaposition of
mythical imagery ("sea-girls wreathed with sea-weed green and brown" and
John the Baptist's head) with the irritating, tedious, tinglingly
embarrassing odds and ends of Here-Now life really does remind one of the
Diana Wynne Jones books--not just in _Fire and Hemlock_, but in _Cart and
Cwidder_, where the mythical and the mundane interweave, and the hero's
challenge is to hold on to both, and not allow the first to diminish the
second into insignificance (or the second to deflate/deny the first, as
Prufrock does).
	Please do excuse that great slithering wyrm of a run-on sentence.
I became twenty-one today, and am still reeling with the sudden impact of
another year piled on my shoulders.  :)

Alexandra