This aye night (Deep Secret spoilers)

Lucy Mackintosh lucy.mackintosh at virgin.net
Sun Sep 19 16:13:45 EDT 1999

Irina wrote:

[snip]

>Some spoiler space in case reading about a book you haven't read will
>spoil your fun - it's never spoiled mine, just whets my appetite, but
>tastes differ.

>-

>?
>

>   But if hosen or shoon thou never gavest nane
>   The whinnies will prick thee to thy bare bane.

Thank you.  I'd got the bit about putting on the hosen and shoon but had no
idea what the birds where (and, with alarming stupidity, hadn't thought to
check out the whole poem).  Now, what are whinnies, exactly?  And yes, I do
know I should try a looking this one up first, but all dictionaries are
currently somewhere in boxes.

Have you heard Britten's setting of This Aye Night?  (Part of the Serenade
for Tenor, Horn and Strings, I think.)

Lucy