Spotting things

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 19 06:18:56 EDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Irina Rempt-Drijfhout wrote:

- snip Irina being smug about spotting something that DWJ didn't hand
  to her readers on a platter -

This reminds me of something that I keep meaning to start off a thread
about - which is seeing things in the books that aren't explicitly
mentioned in the book. Like what Irina just noticed.

This sort of thing happens in several of DWJ's books, and sometimes I
feel confident that DWJ's leaving it unsaid so we can feel smug when
we find it, or because the characters just wouldn't notice; but
sometimes I worry that it's left unsaid because DWJ didn't notice it
herself.

One in particular that's been gnawing at me is the final scene of
_A Tale of Time City_.

> Now I need your combined wisdom - I found this out when trying to
> find another song, starting "The hunt is up, the hunt is up". Swan
> Arcade recorded it in the late seventies or early eighties, but I'd
> like to know where it originally comes from (e.g. Child Ballads). I
> don't have the record (that probably has the iunformation on the
> sleeve), only a very old tape of it. Any takers? All I need is a
> reference to the source; it's for the Lord Peter Wimsey Companion.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but:

   The Hunt is up

   Secondary: Simpson

   Tune c. 1570 Folger MS 448.16, fol. 12, and german Het Luitboek van
   Thysius, no. 77, c. 1600

   Words, licensed 1565 but lost; moralization thereupon is in A
   compendious Book of Godly and Spiritual songs 1567.
   More words in SB, manuscript dated Nov 17, 1600. another in Banquet
   of Daintie Conceits 1588.

( http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html )

(My search also found a page called "CATHOLIC TALES AND CHRISTIAN
SONGS, by Dorothy Leigh Sayers", but it didn't have anything germane
to impart.)

And this reminds me that Dorothy L. Sayers is another author who
occasionally gives me moments like I described above, before I got
sidetracked; the villain's confession in _Whose Body?_, to give an
example that's fresh in my mind, describes his cunning plan and points
out each step he took to avoid being caught, but passes over as
unimportant the fatal error he did make.

Is it this way just because the villain wouldn't have noticed it?
It seems likely that it's a subtle wossname from the author, but how
does one *tell*?

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."