Heroic Titles

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Sep 16 05:35:25 EDT 1999

>>   And what about Tor as in Torquil?  It means a hill, right?  A good
>>word - I like it.
>
> And I read--back to that ancient thread about The Grand Sophy as it relates
> to Howl's Moving Castle--another book by Georgette Heyer called Cousin Kate
> in which one of the main characters is named Torquil.  Quite a shock as I'd
> never seen it anywhere but Archer's Goon.  Heyer's Torquil is physically a
> little like DWJ's but otherwise is COMPLETELY different.

I was less surprised when I encountered Torquil in _Cousin Kate_, since soon
after reading Goon I actually met someone called Torquil (which _was_ a shock).
I would add he was completely different from either of the two fictional
Torquils mentioned here.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474