Who's read Puss in Boots?

Jess Bennett jb at draftsman.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 04:36:35 EDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, PREISIG, Kylie wrote:
>I was scrolling through the recently entered stories on Alexlit, and Diana
>Wynne Jones's _Puss in Boots_ came up.  Which means some DWJ fanatic has got
>hold of it and read and rated it already, and being a fanatic, I would guess
>there is a good chance they are on this list!
>
>So who are you??

It was me! (I'm addicted to that web site now)

>And what did you think of it other that Really Good?

It was a retelling of the normal Puss in Boots story. Not in the way
that Robin McKinley retold Beauty and the Beast (to anyone who hasn't
read 'Beauty', I mean it's not a novel with real life type characters),
it's actually the fairy story like Hans Anderson would tell, and aimed
at young children (if the font size is anything to go by). A good
version, though not with any particular opportunity for DWJ to display
her own style. I'm glad I bought it, but it's not one I'd necessarily
tell people to rush out and buy unless they wanted to complete their DWJ
collection. It is very cheap though.
--

Jess