poll which is far too full of washing

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Wed Sep 15 19:05:40 EDT 1999

	Deborah's question reminds me of another book which I also recommend
as a great read.  It's called Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the
Madness of Crowds.  It has those descriptive chapter headings.  It was
written by Charles McKay and first published in 1841, methinks.  But I've
seen it at bookstores because it keeps getting reprinted.

At any rate, it's a great nonfiction book all about crazes throughout
history, from the economic (market bubbles, the tulip craze) to the
murderous (poisoners, witch trials).  I recommend it to you whatever age you
are - I used it to write some school reports because it was less dry and
more interesting than other sources.  The author really gets into the
*stories.*  Plus, it has a great title.  :)

Elise
Written before the deluge
(We've got hurricanes here!  I probably shouldn't sound so eager, eh?)

Oh, p.s. there is one chapter about the craze for poisonings in France
during the reign of Louis XIV - read that and then read (once again, I
heartily recommend)  The Oracle Glass by Judith Merkle Riley, wherein the
author utilizes many of the characters from the pages of history.  I think
any dwj fan would really enjoy the plotting, characters, surprises, magical
bent and humor of Riley.  Enough from me!