Wincon (Was RE: New book (and other things))

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 09:02:40 EDT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Lucy Mackintosh wrote:

> Guests of honour were DWJ, Michael Shead (actor, Admiral Something
> in Star Wars), someone who writes comics, someone who writes
> alternative histories (I can check these out if you want to know).

According to the Wincon web site, the comic book writer was Warren
Ellis and the writer of alternative histories was John Whitbourn.

( http://www.pompey.demon.co.uk/wincon.htm )

Apart from being one of the Admirals nobody remembers the name of in
Star Wars, Michael Sheard has played a wide array of Nazis (including
Adolf Hitler four times), been in Doctor Who in six different roles,
and is probably best known outside sf fandom as that school teacher in
"Grange Hill" (in England, anyway; I dunno what he's best known for
elsewhere).

( http://www.imdb.com/Name?Sheard,+Michael }

> Beards.  Yes, there were lots of beards.  And oh so much hair.  Men
> came in three main styles: techie (indeterminate hair, T shirts from
> previous cons), real ale (lots of hair, lots of beard, T shirts from
> previous cons) and Neil Gaiman (long hair, lots of black).

Uh-huh.

--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."