Maps and sense of place

Lucy Mackintosh lucy.mackintosh at virgin.net
Mon Sep 13 13:24:13 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk <Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk>
To: dwj at suberic.net <dwj at suberic.net>
Date: 13 September 1999 16:56
Subject: Re: Maps and sense of place

>> I would argue that people still don't have much of a sense of space. It
>> has been shown that most people only create the 'mental maps', (which
were
>> discussed in an earlier post). These show the relative location of
objects
>> or places, with the scale being distorted all over depending on the
>

>I'll certainly go along with that.  My mental maps tend to force things
into
>straight lines and right angles.  Inside buildings, I often forget the
reversal
>of direction involved in entering and leaving the lift (elevator).

I firmly believe that all towns are laid out in a nice, neat grid pattern.
In England this tends to lead to serious navigational errors.  And I tend to
believe that whatever direction I'm travelling in is North (on the grounds
that it points straight ahead like the Nroth arrow on a map.

Lucy (Mackintosh, Macintosh, McIntosh, Mackingtosh ... Mackingtosh??)