Trouble with surnames

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Sep 13 10:55:47 EDT 1999

Sally:

> spelled, although my surname causes people all kinds of troubles. It's
> dreadful when someone introduces me to 200 kids as "Sally Odd - gers" (hard
> "G") and repeats it several times before I get a chance to tell them gently
> that actually, it's "Odd - jers" (soft "G"). I've also suffered "Horton",
> "Orchard" and "Odgera"!

[I actually know someone called Sally Horton]

Don't worry.  You're not alone.  I don't get my surname mispronounced, but I get
it mis-spelt often enough.

Belbin (family legend - on our side of the family anyway - has it that this
quite numerous family is descended from an illegitimate son of a Belben),
Belbran (which appeared in the phone book and ran for two editions despite my
complaints), Belden, Benben, Belbon, Bellman, Belker and even Melbourne have
been observed...

Philip (Belben)

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.