Chapter heading style

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 10:10:33 EDT 1999

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Anita Graham wrote:

> What they all remind me of is a book I haven't even read: "Moll
> Flanders". I got the impression that this book used the long
> descriptive chapter heading from some humourous pieces called Shrink
> Lit (the plot of famous books reduced to a single page of verse).

I don't know about the chapter headings, but the full title's
impressive:

"The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders Who Was Born In
Newgate, and During a Life of Continu'd Variety For Threescore Years,
Besides Her Childhood, Was Twelve Year a Whore, Five Times a Wife
[Whereof Once To Her Own Brother], Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a
Transported Felon In Virginia, At Last Grew Rich, Liv'd Honest, and
Died a Penitent"

> Moll Flanders was written by Daniel Defoe (wasn't it?), and didn't
> he also write Robinson Crusoe. (As soon as I write these things down
> they sound very dubious, yet I was sure of this a moment ago.)

You should be. It was, and he did.

> I'm pretty sure Robinson Crusoe (which I haven't read for at least
> 25 years) has the same style.

Can't help you there. I haven't read the book more recently than you,
and I'm only eighteen.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."