Chapter heading style

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 09:19:52 EDT 1999

Deborah asked:
>>I'd like to ask folks' opinions about the style of the Howl's
>>Moving Castle table of contents:
>>
>>  Chapter 1: In which Sophie talks to hats
>>  etc...
>>
>>Did the "In which" style conjure up any specific images for you?
>>Any particular books?  Particular genre or age?  Was it
>>completely unfamiliar?  How did you react to it?

First, I haven't yet read Howl's Moving Castle...

but I see this style often enough to find it unsurprising. I have just read
Talking with Dragons (or is it Speaking to Dragons) by Patricia Wrede, and
it uses this style. What they all remind me of is a book I haven't even
read: "Moll Flanders". I got the impression that this book used the long
descriptive chapter heading from some humourous pieces called Shrink Lit
(the plot of famous books reduced to a single page of verse).

Moll Flanders was written by Daniel Defoe (wasn't it?), and didn't he also
write Robinson Crusoe. (As soon as I write these things down they sound
very dubious, yet I was sure of this a moment ago.) I'm pretty sure
Robinson Crusoe (which I haven't read for at least 25 years) has the same
style.

Anita