Heroic Titles

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 04:08:24 EDT 1999

On 12 Sep 1999, Sarah Imholt wrote:

>      Does anyone know the meaning behind the "Tan" in Tan Coul, Tan
> Audel, etc?  I have always assumed it was just a title Polly made up
> that meant hero or something, but I wondered if any of the wise and
> educated among us had more info.

Vaguely reminiscent of ancient hero-type-person Finn MacCoul (or
however it's really pronounced).

Don't know if that means anything, though.

> Oh-book recommendation-> Skellig, by David Almond.  Mysterious and
> haunting. Anyone else read it?

Not me. I'll try to remember that it's been recommended if ever I see
it.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."