poll which is far too full of washing

Liz Bowyer EBO at allsaints.wa.edu.au
Sun Sep 12 21:34:52 EDT 1999

Dear Deborah

The chapter titles in Howl's Moving Castle remind me of 19th century adventure novels which often gave a little synopsis of the action to take place at the head of each chapter.  It definitely happens in  Three Men in a Boat which gives a list of incidents in each chapter.  It makes you want to read on.  Why would someone talk to hats?  You can try guessing at plot from the chapter titles so it gets involved in the writing from the very start.  So I like this convention very much.

Yours Liz