Troubles with one's names

Sat Sep 11 16:33:48 EDT 1999

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 23:24:02 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca wrote:
>
>> And as to troubles with one's names... well, my (full) name is Ioana
>> Alexandra Bolintineanu, and I always knew the (Canadian) teacher had
>> reached it when his/her brow and mouth puckered up and helpless
>> noises began to emerge...
>
>I draw attention to my surname: Andinach.
>Spelled and pronounced in a variety of interesting ways.

It looks so SIMPLE.  If I didn't get about a million different variations on
Proffitt (along with all the attendant and obligatory jokes) I wouldn't
believe it.

I mean, REALLY.  I can see not being able to spell Proffitt right the first
time.  But...how hard is it to pronounce the stupid thing?  Gripe gripe
gripe.  Though it is a good shibboleth for catching telemarketers.  They
never get it right, and while they're stumbling over it, I can merrily hang
up!

Melissa Profit/Proffit/Prophet/Proffitt