Spoiler on Black Maria and other things (was: Re: poll which is far too full of washing)

Thu Sep 9 22:31:19 EDT 1999

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 16:24:49 BST, Helen Scott wrote:

>Damn, I should think before I start to type.  I meant to mention to the
>person (who I've forgotten) who was comparing the character of Black Maria
>to Chesney from Dark Lord of Derkholm that...
>
>Spoiler
>

>...the ending seemed to me to be rather similar also.  ie, Black Maria was
>imprisoned in a box and sent to sea while Chesney was imprisoned in a
>bubble.  Both of which had their own universe running.  (I may have got some
>details wrong, it's hot and I haven't read them for a while!)

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  The impression I got was that DWJ is
saying there are some people you just can't change and killing them wouldn't
be enough of a punishment.  Not that DWJ ever makes political statements
about capital punishment--that's not what I mean.  But when you're talking
about Ultimate Justice, living can be more of a punishment.

Well, and that's not quite right either.  Because for both Chesney and Aunt
Maria, they're the sort of person who would live in denial rather than admit
that they're wrong and that they LOST.  Putting them away like that isn't a
punishment; it's the only way to keep them from coming back or starting over
somewhere else--because you just know that neither of them thought they were
doing anything wrong, or else they thought that their actions would have
been wrong for anyone but THEM.

Melissa Proffitt