poll which is far too full of washing

Irina Rempt-Drijfhout ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 9 16:53:31 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, deborah wrote:

> Did the "In which" style conjure up any specific images for you?
> Any particular books?  Particular genre or age?  Was it
> completely unfamiliar?  How did you react to it?

Rings a distant bell... Jules Verne, perhaps, in the Dutch
translation that I read as a kid (Hector Servadac), or Erich Kästner
also in a Dutch translation. Mostly, the kind of books (mostly
children's books) where an explicit author is talking to explicit
readers; if the author meant the book for children he (usually not
she) talks to them as if they're grown up, with the mutual
understanding that they're not (am I being clear? it's like "I'll
treat you as rational beings, because I know you are even if you're
still a child").

I read a lot of those as a kid, and still love the style of chapter
headings.

   Irina

                     irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself)
       http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (English)