Tape decks that eat tapes

Thu Sep 9 13:38:26 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:56:19 +0100, Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

>> My stereo--the one that is less than a year old, the one that is supposedly
>> new and fully functional--has two tape decks, both presumably in working
>> order, both of which like to eat tapes.  So far none of their victims have
>> been destroyed, and at least one of them has the goodness to stop and burp
>> to let me know that it just couldn't help itself any more.  I wonder if they
>> just get too WOUND UP in the story....Happens more frequently the longer
>> it's used.  Pretty nervewracking when you're really into the story; worse if
>> the tape happens to belong to the Library Nazis, who aren't sympathetic over
>> books that are ten minutes late....
>
>Clean it!  A cotton bud, soaked in tape head cleaning fluid (from all good hi-fi
>shops), held against the rubber pinch roller while it runs (in PLAY mode with no
>tape in and the door open).  Move it up and down the roller.  Repeat, using a
>fresh bud occasionally, until the cotton bud comes back without a brown stain.

CLEAN IT?!?  You mean, GIVE IN TO ITS DEMANDS?!  I'm shocked.  I was taught
never to negotiate with terrorists.

Still...I suppose it's only a matter of time before it descends so low as to
chew the tapes irreparably.  This is probably one of those cries for help
you read about in the newspaper--VCRs going fuzzy, televisions refusing to
receive the signal for Teletubbies, electric can openers that won't....

<grumble grumble goes to find head cleaning fluid>

Melissa Proffitt