poll which is far too full of washing

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 10:34:37 EDT 1999

> I'd like to ask folks' opinions about the style of the Howl's
> Moving Castle table of contents:
>
>   Chapter 1: In which Sophie talks to hats
>   etc...
>
> Did the "In which" style conjure up any specific images for you?
> Any particular books?  Particular genre or age?  Was it
> completely unfamiliar?  How did you react to it?
>
> I want to know your original reactions, so no fair seeing someone
> else's response and claiming it as your own.  <grin>

Very hard to avoid other people's views when the message arrives simultaneously
with three replies!

My immediate reaction was Milne.  He uses that style throughout "Winnie the
Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner"

I don't think he numbers the chapters, though.  So you don't talk about chapter
N, but the chapter in which Tigger is unbounced (or whatever).

Since I grew up with the Pooh books before I came across DWJ, it's hard to say
whether I've seen it anywhere else - it just seems so natural and right.

Come to think of it, DWJ uses the same style in Changeover.  And the headings
are is some sense part of the story. "In which Chi Yin indirectly makes an
honest woman of Miss Benita Stromo" springs to mind; the chapter "in which
everyone has his say" is a quite interesting literary device (which I'd love to
see filmed).

I think DWJ is the only one I've seen who breaks away from the "in which..."
formula.  I approve.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.