poll which is far too full of washing

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 9 09:31:55 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, deborah wrote:

> I'd like to ask folks' opinions about the style of the Howl's Moving
> Castle table of contents:
>
>   Chapter 1: In which Sophie talks to hats
>   etc...

Makes more sense as "Chapter 1, in which Sophie talks to hats", etc.

Just a thought.

> Did the "In which" style conjure up any specific images for you?
> Any particular books?  Particular genre or age?  Was it completely
> unfamiliar?  How did you react to it?

Slightly archaic, was the impression I got. It did seem familiar, as
if it used to be a common conceit that fell out of use.

Didn't the Winnie-the-Pooh stories have titles like that?

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."