Tape decks that eat tapes

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Sep 9 03:56:19 EDT 1999

>>I've had it for years, but I've never been able to listen to it all
>>the way through, because I got it second-hand and the tape keeps
>>snapping.
>
> (Melissa pats Paul sympathetically on the back)
>
> My stereo--the one that is less than a year old, the one that is supposedly
> new and fully functional--has two tape decks, both presumably in working
> order, both of which like to eat tapes.  So far none of their victims have
> been destroyed, and at least one of them has the goodness to stop and burp
> to let me know that it just couldn't help itself any more.  I wonder if they
> just get too WOUND UP in the story....Happens more frequently the longer
> it's used.  Pretty nervewracking when you're really into the story; worse if
> the tape happens to belong to the Library Nazis, who aren't sympathetic over
> books that are ten minutes late....

Clean it!  A cotton bud, soaked in tape head cleaning fluid (from all good hi-fi
shops), held against the rubber pinch roller while it runs (in PLAY mode with no
tape in and the door open).  Move it up and down the roller.  Repeat, using a
fresh bud occasionally, until the cotton bud comes back without a brown stain.

(A friend of mine had a more drastic treatment.  He said, Strip it down, put oil
in all the right places and remove it from all the wrong ones.)

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474