Welsh, an introduction.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 8 16:51:21 EDT 1999

>Aside from Cooper, can people think of cases where Cornish, Scots Gaelic or
>Manx show up in children's fantasy?

How about more Welsh?  Joan Aiken wrote two books about Owen Hughes (son of
Dido's Captain Hughes) and his friend Aramis, who plays a "crwth" (from the
glossary: instrument like a violin).  At least I think there were two.  I
have _The Whispering Mountain_, and I'm fairly sure there was one before
that, though I can't remember the name, and it may be out of print.  Hwchw!
(Also from the glossary:  denotes surprise or dismay).

Doesn't the word "crwth" just prove Elise's theory?

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie